Question: Girlfriend wants to move with her 4yr old back to my old state, Can the ex husband fight it and prevent it?? Answer: Yes, he can fight the move. She needs to consult with a divorce attorney in her state, prior to moving. She needs to get divorce and custody order and permission to move with the child before unilaterally making that decision.